The European Federation of Food, Agriculture and Tourism Trade Unions is looking to employ a talented, self-starter to lead the organisation’s activities on Transnational Companies (TNCs) and European Works Councils (EWCs).
EFFAT Company Policy Officer
The applicant should have experience in this area and must share our values and commitment to building a social Europe.
EFFAT’s Company Policy Officer is responsible for our European company-level work. A large part of this work entails supporting European Works Councils (EWCs) in EFFAT sectors and in coordinating European level actions relating to large transnational companies.
The successful applicant will also be responsible for representing and advocating EFFAT positions and views with senior management of Transnational Companies (TNCs), social partners, other stakeholders and European institutions.
• Producing and providing expertise, advice and information on best practices to improve the functioning of EWCs and the EFFAT TNC network;
• Taking an active role in EWC negotiations;
• Monitoring legal and political developments relating to information, consultation and participation in European companies;
• Providing EFFAT Coordinators and affiliates with information, advice and training on issues relating to EWCs and company policy;
• Managing the EFFAT Portal on TNCs and EWCs;
• Drafting training material and working tools for EWCs members and trade union officers dealing with Transnational Companies;
• Liaising with other trade union bodies – including ETUC, IUF and other trade union federations – on related issues, policy and tools;
• Attending EWC meetings to train and/or provide expertise directly to the employee side;
• Launching and running projects – including international conferences and seminars – with financial support from the European Commission;
• Representing EFFAT at meetings and public events;
• Supporting industrial disputes and solidarity campaigns at European level.
The successful candidate for this job will have:
• A demonstrated commitment to trade union values and social justice;
• Native speaker level or proficiency in written and spoken English;
• The capacity for self motivation, being systematic and able to work under pressure;
• Good social skills, being co-operative, a team worker and able to thrive in a multicultural environment;
• Good analytical skills with the capacity to absorb and summarise new information accurately;
• Good communication skills: being familiar with public speaking and having the ability to draft clear and readable documents / reports, chair meetings and to run/ facilitate training sessions;
• Good organizational skills and experience in managing projects and organizing meetings and events; proven ability to plan projects and distribute workload in a timely and organised manner.
• Tact, diplomacy and firmness required to negotiate and interact with senior management of transnational companies and to find common positions among diverse groups of stakeholders with diverging priorities;
• Good IT skills.
• Knowledge of other European languages;
• Experience in European industrial relations work, including EWCs.
The EFFAT Company Policy Officer cooperates with the EFFAT team and works closely with the EFFAT General Secretary.
The place of work for the day-to-day business associated with this job will be the EFFAT Secretariat in Brussels. The position involves frequent travelling.
We offer a competitive salary, attractive working conditions and a challenging job in a European environment, as part of a friendly and motivated team.
Start date: to be agreed
Deadline for applications: 7 September 2018
Please send a CV and a motivation letter by email to:
EFFAT General Secretary
Avenue Louise 130 A,3
EFFAT is a European trade union federation and a recognized European social partner for Agriculture, Food & Drink Industry and Tourism sectors. We promote and advocate socially-responsible development in these sectors on behalf of our 120 member organisations and around 2.6 million trade union members in 35 European countries. Our work focuses, among other things, on sustainable employment, working conditions, collective bargaining and gender equality. We are the key interlocutor for the European institutions, namely the European Commission, the European Parliament and the European Economic and Social Committee. We lead the social dialogue with employers in EFFAT sectors, supporting our member organisations in the new EU Member States and in Southeast Europe. We coordinate and provide expertise to the EFFAT TNC network and European Works Councils.