10 September 2015 - The Lithuanian Trade Union Coordination Centre, represented by the Lithuanian Trade Union Confederation, Lithuanian Trade Union ‘Solidarumas’ and the Lithuanian Labour Federation, inform you that today the Trade Unions are organising a protest action “No to Slavery at Work” opposing the adoption of a ‘new social model’ and the reduction of workers‘ rights.
This ‘new social model’, which was prepared by the Government attempts to liberalise labour relations and to reform the pension system. In total it is planned to change about 40 acts of legislation. Trade Unions are particularly concerned about the changes in the Labour code, which will reduce Lithuanian workers' rights.
The Lithuanian trade unions do not approve several of the provisions embedded in the new Labour Code, aimed at:
1. Wage reduction (with no remuneration for overtime provided); pursuant to the new Labour Code, workers will be required to work mandatory overtime.
2. Simplified procedure for termination of employment contract.
3. The possibility to dismiss an employee without any substantial reason, within a 3 day notice of termination.
4. Shortened terms of severance packages and job termination notifications.
5. Introduction of fixed-term employment contracts for work of permanent nature.
6. Revocation of the right to holidays for seniority (work record).
7. Increase in maximum weekly working hours from 48 to 60 hours.
8. Extension of the mandatory period of work record for social insurance pension by five years.
9. Reduction of guarantees for employees raising children.
10. Restriction of trade union rights and activities.
The protest action is organised against Government‘s attempts to curtail employee guarantees, liberalise labour relations and impose restrictions on trade union activities.
We hereby urge our brothers and sisters from foreign countries to send us a letter of solidarity, which should be addressed to the following authorities of the Republic of Lithuania:
Her Excellency Ms.Dalia Grybauskaitė, President of the Republic of Lithuania
S. Daukanto a. 3, LT-01122 Vilnius
Tel +370 706 64 154, faks +370 706 64 145
Mr.Algirdas Butkevičius, Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania
Gedimino pr. 11, LT-01103 Vilnius
Tel. +370 706 63 711, faks. +370 706 63 895
E-mails: LRVkanceliarija@lrv.lt, email@example.com